hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Jason Ji <jason_j...@yahoo.com>
Subject how does hdfs read archived files
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:52:20 GMT
hi guys,

We plan to use hadoop hdfs  as the storage to store lots of  little files.
According to the document , it is recommended to use hadoop
Archive to compress those little files to get better performance .

Our question is that since hdfs is reading the entire say 64m  block every time,
Does it mean that everytime when we are just trying to retrieve a single file
Inside the archive, hdfs will still read the whole block as well ?
If no, what’s the actual behavior ? anyway we can verify it ?

Thanks in advance.
Jason