hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From "Ozcan ILIKHAN" <ilik...@cs.wisc.edu>
Subject Backup NameNode
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 05:07:20 GMT
Hi all,

Following questions are specific to v0.21.0.

>From the user guide it is not clear enough how Active NameNode and Backup Namenode take
over role from each other, how DateNode are informed if active NameNode  fails (or do they
need to be informed?). What is happening in disaster scnerios.

While configuring cluster, assume 1 active NameNode, 1 Backup NameNode, 1 Chekpoint NameNode,
and the rest of the cluster is assumed to be DataNodes.  Which parameters for these 4 types
of nodes' hdfs-site.xml and core-site.xml  should set, and how should they (config files of
4 type of nodes ) differ from each other.

By the way, in order to understand certain functionalities, most of the time we need to go
deep into source code. I think it will be good to enrich Hadoop (especially HDFS) documentation.

Thanks in advance,
Ozcan.