hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From "Fitzgerald, Dennis - IS" <Dennis.Fitzger...@itt.com>
Subject hdfs in a mixed endian environment
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:37:42 GMT
I have hdfs and mapreduce running on several linux / intel based machines (little-endian) and
I can successfully run various tests from the distribution.  I tried including a powerpc (big-endian)
machine in the mix as a datanode and was able to get it to load and be recognized as an additional
datanode.  However, when I try running a test program, the test fails with a file error.
Furthermore, if I then remove that datanode and go back to all intel machines test still fails
and the files seem to be corrupted.

Has anyone else tried running in a mixed-endian environment?  I realize that byte swapping
has to be done, but was hoping that the hdfs software would deal with it.

Thanks,
Dennis Fitzgerald

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for
e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this
e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage
caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.