hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Arun Ramakrishnan <aramakrish...@languageweaver.com>
Subject rebalancing replciation help
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 23:09:00 GMT
Hi guys.
  I have more than a specific question. I am going to layout the steps I have taken. Please
comment on what I can do better.

  I was trying to to add 5 nodes to my existing 10 node cluster and also increase the replication
factor from 2 to 3.
I thought I don't have to run the balancer cause it would most likely put the new replicas
into the new nodes.

There are about 500k blocks.
I wanted to get it all stabilized(replication and balancing) within 24 hours. Its more than
24 hours now and fsck reports 30% under replication. Is there a way to force hdfs to use balance/replicate
more aggressively.

It would be great if someone explained what/when things happen to blocks in the context of

1)      Rebalancing

2)      -setrep

3)      Restarting cluster with a higher/lower replication factor.

A few questions and a few issues here.

1)      When you restart the cluster with a higher than previous replication value. Does it
also apply to existing blocks or only to new blocks being created ?

2)      Does the balancer take into account under replication of blocks or does it blindly
start moving existing blocks to reach threshold ?

A very specific problem .  I am having this strange problem where the -setrep hangs on one
particular block for hours. Is this because its corrupt ?. But, fsck said its healthy.

View raw message