hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HDFS on raw device
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 18:22:45 GMT
You can, but you'll lose all of the features and functionality such as
data locality, replication, and so on. Things get tricky if you don't
use HDFS. It's worth reading some of the docs at
http://hadoop.apache.org and the map reduce paper prior to deviating
from the common case. The Hadoop - the Definitive Guide book (Tom
White, O'Reilly) is an excellent reference as well.

--
Eric Sammer
phone: +1-917-287-2675