hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From <yiqi.t...@barclayscapital.com>
Subject RE: Hadoop name origin?
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:39:23 GMT
Right, I got that. The question is that is this just a random name the
son happened to have given the toy, or like Dumbo, which is an elephant
character from a well known kids' story.

Regards,
Clayton
--
Clayton (Yiqi) Tang, Equity RTB, Global Head of App Mgmt Engineering,
Barclays Capital
212-526-7493; yiqi.tang@barcap.com; 1301-6th Ave, New York, NY 10019

-----Original Message-----
From: David Rosenstrauch [mailto:darose@darose.net]
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:11 AM
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Hadoop name origin?

On 11/22/2009 09:58 PM, yiqi.tang@barclayscapital.com wrote:
> I read that Hadoop is named after a toy elephant. Is Hadoop just what
> the kid called the stuffed animal, or is Hadoop a well-known story
> character, like Dumbo?

It's named after the project founder's son's favorite stuffed animal.

DR

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected
to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC,
Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays
Group.