hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From David Greer <da...@davidgreer.ca>
Subject Re: Security error running hadoop with MaxTemperature example
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:19:51 GMT
Jason Venner writes ...

>My first guess is that, for what ever reason, the user you are running the
>job as, can not write the directory specified for the hadoop.tmp.dir in your
>configuration.
>This is usually in the system temporary area and not an issue.

Assuming that files are in /tmp/hadoop-david, all seems to be fine:

[david@tweety ~]$ cd /tmp/hadoop-david
[david@tweety hadoop-david]$ mkdir foo
[david@tweety hadoop-david]$ rmdir foo

Using hadoop fs commands, all appears fine too:

[david@tweety ~]$ hadoop fs -ls
Found 1 items
-rw-r--r--   1 david supergroup      28081 2009-10-06 23:27
/user/david/docnotes.txt
[david@tweety ~]$ hadoop fs -mkdir foo
[david@tweety ~]$ hadoop fs -touchz foo/bar.txt
[david@tweety ~]$ hadoop fs -rm foo/bar.txt
Deleted hdfs://localhost/user/david/foo/bar.txt
[david@tweety ~]$ hadoop fs -rmr foo
Deleted hdfs://localhost/user/david/foo

But trying to run MaxTemperature (this time with a valid input file
and output directory) I still get an error:

[david@tweety java]$ hadoop MaxTemperature sample.txt output
09/10/13 16:18:29 INFO jvm.JvmMetrics: Initializing JVM Metrics with
processName=JobTracker, sessionId=
09/10/13 16:18:29 WARN mapred.JobClient: Use GenericOptionsParser for
parsing the arguments. Applications should implement Tool for the
same.
Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException:
org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied:
user=david, access=WRITE, inode="tmp":root:supergroup:rwxr-xr-x

The error message includes "root". I wonder if this is a clue? I'm out of ideas.