hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Dhruba Borthakur <dhr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Intelligence of decommission
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:41:24 GMT
when a user issues the decommission command, all the blocks that are
currently residing on it are inserted into the to-be-replicated queue. Then
the ReplicationMonitor inside the namenode starts replicating these blocks
(during this period, the replica on the machine being decommissioned is used
for reads, but is not considered a valid replica by the ReplicationMonitor).

hope this helps,
dhruba