hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Anu Engineer <aengin...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] reset/force push to clean up inadvertent merge commit pushed to trunk
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2018 17:30:19 GMT
Hi All,

[ Thanks to Arpit for working offline and verifying that branch is indeed good.]

I want to summarize what I know of this issue and also solicit other points of view.

We reverted the commit(c163d1797) from the branch, as soon as we noticed it. That is, we have
made no other commits after the merge commit.

We used the following command to revert
git revert -c c163d1797ade0f47d35b4a44381b8ef1dfec5b60 -m 1

Giovanni's branch had three commits + merge, The JIRAs he had were YARN-7451, YARN-7556, YARN-8435.

The issue seems to be the revert of merge has some diffs. I am not a YARN developer, so the
only problem is to look at the revert and see if there were any spurious edits in Giovanni's
original commit + merge.
If there are none, we don't need a reset/force push.  But if we find an issue I am more than
willing to go the force commit route.

The revert takes the trunk back to the point of the first commit from Giovanni which is YARN-8435.
His branch was also rewriting the order of commits which we have lost due to the revert.

Based on what I know so far, I am -1 on the force push.

In other words, I am trying to understand why we need the force push. I have left a similar
comment in JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16727) too.

Thanks
Anu