hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From sanjay Radia <sanjayo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merging branch HDFS-7240 to trunk
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2018 22:09:52 GMT

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 4:08 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> - NN on top HDSL where the NN uses the new block layer (Both Daryn and Owen acknowledge
the benefit of the new block layer).  We have two choices here
>  ** a) Evolve NN so that it can interact with both old and new block layer,
>  **  b) Fork and create new NN that works only with new block layer, the old NN will
continue to work with old block layer.
> There are trade-offs but clearly the 2nd option has least impact on the old HDFS code.
>
> Are you proposing that we pursue the 2nd option to integrate HDSL with HDFS?

Originally I would have prefered (a); but Owen made a strong case for (b) in my discussions
with his last week.
Overall we need a broader discussion around the next steps for NN evolution and how to chart
the course; I am not locked into any particular path or how we would do it.
Let me make a more detailed response in HDFS-10419.

sanjay