hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Wangda Tan <wheele...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop 3.1.0 release discussion
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2018 18:25:02 GMT
Thanks Daniel,

We need to make a decision about this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-7292, I believe this is the JIRA
you mentioned correct? Please let me know if there's anything else. And
let's move the discussion on JIRA.

The good news is that resource profile is merged to trunk already so we can
finish that before code freeze date (Feb 08).

+ Sunil as well.

Thanks,
Wangda



On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 4:31 PM, Daniel Templeton <daniel@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> What's the status on resource profiles?  I believe there are still a
> couple of open JIRAs to rethink some of the design choices.
>
> Daniel
>
>
> On 1/17/18 11:33 AM, Wangda Tan wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Since we're fast approaching previously proposed feature freeze date (Jan
>> 30, about 13 days from today). If you've any features which live in a
>> branch and targeted to 3.1.0, please reply this email thread. Ideally, we
>> should finish branch merging before feature freeze date.
>>
>> Here's an updated 3.1.0 feature status:
>>
>> 1. Merged & Completed features:
>> * (Sunil) YARN-5881: Support absolute value in CapacityScheduler.
>> * (Wangda) YARN-6223: GPU support on YARN. Features in trunk and works
>> end-to-end.
>> * (Jian) YARN-5079,YARN-4793,YARN-4757,YARN-6419 YARN native services.
>> * (Steve Loughran): HADOOP-13786: S3Guard committer for zero-rename
>> commits.
>> * (Suma): YARN-7117: Capacity Scheduler: Support Auto Creation of Leaf
>> Queues While Doing Queue Mapping.
>> * (Chris Douglas) HDFS-9806: HDFS Tiered Storage.
>>
>> 2. Features close to finish:
>> * (Zhankun) YARN-5983: FPGA support. Majority implementations completed
>> and
>> merged to trunk. Except for UI/documentation.
>> * (Uma) HDFS-10285: HDFS SPS. Majority implementations are done, some
>> discussions going on about implementation.
>> * (Arun Suresh / Kostas / Wangda). YARN-6592: New SchedulingRequest and
>> anti-affinity support. Close to finish, on track to be merged before Jan
>> 30.
>>
>> 3. Tentative features:
>> * (Arun Suresh). YARN-5972: Support pausing/freezing opportunistic
>> containers. Only one pending patch. Plan to finish before Jan 7th.
>> * (Haibo Chen). YARN-1011: Resource overcommitment. Looks challenging to
>> be
>> done before Jan 2018.
>> * (Anu): HDFS-7240: Ozone. Given the discussion on HDFS-7240. Looks
>> challenging to be done before Jan 2018.
>> * (Varun V) YARN-5673: container-executor write. Given security
>> refactoring
>> of c-e (YARN-6623) is already landed, IMHO other stuff may be moved to
>> 3.2.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Wangda
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Wangda Tan <wheeleast@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Congratulations on the 3.0.0-GA release!
>>>
>>> As we discussed in the previous email thread [1], I'd like to restart
>>> 3.1.0 release plans.
>>>
>>> a) Quick summary:
>>> a.1 Release status
>>> We started 3.1 release discussion on Sep 6, 2017 [1]. As of today,
>>> there’re 232 patches loaded on 3.1.0 alone [2], besides 6 open blockers
>>> and
>>> 22 open critical issues.
>>>
>>> a.2 Release date update
>>> Considering delays of 3.0-GA release by month-and-a-half, I propose to
>>> move the dates as follows
>>>   - feature freeze date from Dec 15, 2017, to Jan 30, 2018 - last date
>>> for
>>> any branches to get merged too;
>>>   - code freeze (blockers & critical only) date to Feb 08, 2018;
>>>   - release voting start by Feb 18, 2018, leaving time for at least two
>>> RCx
>>>   - release date from Jan 15, 2018, to Feb 28, 2018;
>>>
>>> Unlike before, I added an additional milestone for release-vote-start so
>>> that we can account for voting time-period also.
>>>
>>> This overall is still 5 1/2 months of release-timeline unlike the faster
>>> cadence we hoped for, but this, in my opinion, is the best-updated
>>> timeline
>>> given the delays of the final release of 3.0-GA.
>>>
>>> b) Individual feature status:
>>> I spoke to several feature owners and checked the status of un-finished
>>> features, following are status of features planned to 3.1.0:
>>>
>>> b.1 Merged & Completed features:
>>> * (Sunil) YARN-5881: Support absolute value in CapacityScheduler.
>>> * (Wangda) YARN-6223: GPU support on YARN. Features in trunk and works
>>> end-to-end.
>>> * (Jian) YARN-5079,YARN-4793,YARN-4757,YARN-6419 YARN native services.
>>> * (Steve Loughran): HADOOP-13786: S3Guard committer for zero-rename
>>> commits.
>>> * (Suma): YARN-7117: Capacity Scheduler: Support Auto Creation of Leaf
>>> Queues While Doing Queue Mapping.
>>>
>>> b.2 Features close to finish:
>>> * (Chris Douglas) HDFS-9806: HDFS Tiered Storage. Being voting now.
>>> * (Zhankun) YARN-5983: FPGA support. Majority implementations completed
>>> and merged to trunk. Except for UI/documentation.
>>> * (Uma) HDFS-10285: HDFS SPS. Majority implementations are done, some
>>> discussions going on about implementation.
>>>
>>> b.3 Tentative features:
>>> * (Arun Suresh). YARN-5972: Support pausing/freezing opportunistic
>>> containers. Only one pending patch. Plan to finish before Jan 7th.
>>> * (Haibo Chen). YARN-1011: Resource overcommitment. Looks challenging to
>>> be done before Jan 2018.
>>> * (Arun Suresh / Kostas / Wangda). YARN-6592: New SchedulingRequest and
>>> anti-affinity support. Tentative will figure out by Jan 1st.
>>> * (Anu): HDFS-7240: Ozone. Given the discussion on HDFS-7240. Looks
>>> challenging to be done before Jan 2018.
>>> * (Varun V) YARN-5673: container-executor write. Given security
>>> refactoring of c-e (YARN-6623) is already landed, IMHO other stuff may be
>>> moved to 3.2.
>>>
>>> b.4 Additional release drivers
>>> * More exhaustive upgrade testing from 2.x to 3.x.
>>>
>>> c) Regarding branch cut:
>>>
>>> We will keep pointing trunk to 3.1 and cut branch-3.1 until: A. some
>>> feature planned to 3.2 has to be landed on trunk or B. After feature
>>> freeze
>>> date, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> I've also talked offline with Vinod to get help on release-management
>>> given this is my first release. He agreed to help do this release
>>> jointly.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Wangda Tan
>>>
>>> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c11506c3250c9481852130616b3cb0
>>> 9a0e222f5c2465c015f9906dab@%3Cyarn-dev.hadoop.apache.org%3E
>>> [2] "project in (YARN, HADOOP, MAPREDUCE, HDFS) AND fixVersion in (3.1.0)
>>> AND fixVersion not in (3.0.0,2.9.0) ORDER BY priority DESC”
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: common-dev-unsubscribe@hadoop.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: common-dev-help@hadoop.apache.org
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message