hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From "Elek, Marton" <...@anzix.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Feature Branch Merge and Security Audits
Date Sat, 21 Oct 2017 07:00:59 GMT

On 10/21/2017 02:41 AM, larry mccay wrote:

>> "We might want to start a security section for Hadoop wiki for each of the
>> services and components.
>> This helps to track what has been completed."
>
> Do you mean to keep the audit checklist for each service and component
> there?
> Interesting idea, I wonder what sort of maintenance that implies and
> whether we want to take on that burden even though it would be great
> information to have for future reviewers.

I think we should care about the maintenance of the documentation
anyway. We also need to maintain all the other documentations. I think
it could be even part of the generated docs and not the wiki.

I also suggest to fill this list about the current trunk/3.0 as a first
step.

1. It would be a very usefull documentation for the end-users (some
answers could link the existing documentation, it exists, but I am not
sure if all the answers are in the current documentation.)

2. It would be a good example who the questions could be answered.

3. It would help to check, if something is missing from the list.

4. There are future branches where some of the components are not
touched. For example, no web ui or no REST service. A prefilled list
could help to check if the branch doesn't break any old security
functionality on trunk.

5. It helps to document the security features in one place. If we have a
list for the existing functionality in the same format, it would be easy
to merge the new documentation of the new features as they will be
reported in the same form. (So it won't be so hard to maintain the list...).

Marton