hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: 2017-10-06 Hadoop 3 release status update
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2017 22:12:13 GMT

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 1:31 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>   - Still waiting on Allen to review YARN native services feature.

	Fake news.

	I’m still -1 on it, at least prior to a patch that posted late yesterday. I’ll probably
have a chance to play with it early next week.

Key problems:

	* still haven’t been able to bring up dns daemon due to lacking documentation

	* it really needs better naming and command structures.  When put into the larger YARN context,
it’s very problematic:

$ yarn —daemon start resourcemanager

		vs.

$ yarn —daemon start apiserver

		if you awoke from a deep sleep from inside a cave, which one would you expect to “start
YARN”?     Made worse that the feature is called “YARN services” all over the place.

$ yarn service foo

		… what does this even mean?

	It would be great if other outsiders really looked hard at this branch to give the team feedback.
  Once it gets released, it’s gonna be too late to change it….

As a sidenote:

	It’d be great if the folks working on YARN spent some time consolidating daemons.  With
this branch, it now feels like we’re approaching the double digit area of daemons to turn
on all the features.  It’s well past ridiculous, especially considering we still haven’t
replaced the MRJHS’s feature set to the point we can turn it off.