hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge yarn-native-services branch into trunk
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2017 17:15:50 GMT

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 6:23 PM, Jian He <jhe@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> 	If it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles, then it shouldn’t be on port
53 by default.
> Sure, I’ll change the default port to not use 53 and document it.
>> 	*how* is it getting launched on a privileged port? It sounds like the expectation
is to run “command” as root.   *ALL* of the previous daemons in Hadoop that needed a privileged
port used jsvc.  Why isn’t this one? These questions matter from a security standpoint.

> Yes, it is running as “root” to be able to use the privileged port. The DNS server
is not yet integrated with the hadoop script.

>> Check the output.  It’s pretty obviously borked:
> Thanks for pointing out. Missed this when rebasing onto trunk.

	Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the current summary of the branch, post these changes,
looks like:

		* A bunch of mostly new Java code that may or may not have javadocs (post-revert YARN-6877,
still working out HADOOP-14835)
		* ~1/3 of the docs are roadmap/TBD
		* ~1/3 of the docs are for an optional DNS daemon that has no end user hook to start it
		* ~1/3 of the docs are for a REST API that comes from some undefined daemon (apiserver?)
		* Two new, but undocumented, subcommands to yarn
		* There are no docs for admins or users on how to actually start or use this completely
new/separate/optional feature

	How are outside people (e.g., non-branch committers) supposed to test this new feature under
these conditions?