hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Branches and versions for Hadoop 3
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2017 17:36:06 GMT
Hi folks,

With 3.0.0-beta1 fast approaching, I wanted to go over the proposed
branching strategy.

In the early 2.x days, moving trunk immediately to 3.0.0 was a mistake.
branch-2 and trunk were virtually identical, and increased backport
complexity. Until we need to make incompatible changes, there's no need for
a Hadoop 4.0 version.

Thus, here's a proposal of branches and versions:

trunk: 3.1.0-SNAPSHOT
branch-3.0: 3.0.0-beta1-SNAPSHOT
branch-2 and etc: remain as is

LMK questions/comments/etc. Appreciate your attentiveness; I'm hoping to
build consensus quickly since we have a number of open VOTEs for branch
merges.

Thanks,
Andrew