hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Vrushali Channapattan <vrushalic2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branch merges and 3.0.0-beta1 scope
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 18:18:22 GMT
For timeline service v2, we have completed all subtasks under YARN-5355
[1].

We initiated a merge-to-trunk vote [2] yesterday.

thanks
Vrushali
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-5355
[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201708.mbox/%3CCAE=b_fbLT2J+Ezb4wqdN_UwBiG1Sd5kpqGaw+9Br__zou5yNTQ@mail.gmail.com%3E


On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <
vinodkv@apache.org> wrote:

> Agreed. I was very clearly not advocating for rushing in features. If you
> have followed my past emails, I have only strongly advocated features be
> worked in branches and get merged when they are in a reasonable state.
>
> Each branch contributor group should look at their readiness and merge
> stuff in assuming that the branch reached a satisfactory state. That’s it.
>
> From release management perspective, blocking features just because we are
> a month close to the deadline is not reasonable. Let the branch
> contributors rationalize, make this decision and the rest of us can support
> them in making the decision.
>
> +Vinod
>
> > At this point, there have been three planned alphas from September 2016
> until July 2017 to "get in features".  While a couple of upcoming features
> are "a few weeks" away, I think all of us are aware how predictable
> software development schedules can be.  I think we can also all agree that
> rushing just to meet a release deadline isn't the best practice when it
> comes to software development either.
> >
> > Andrew has been very clear about his goals at each step and I think
> Wangda's willingness to not rush in resource types was an appropriate
> response.  I'm sympathetic to the goals of getting in a feature for 3.0,
> but it might be a good idea for each project that is a "few weeks away" to
> seriously look at the readiness compared to the features which have been
> testing for 6+ months already.
> >
> > -Ray
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message