hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Junping Du <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.8.0 (RC2)
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 17:03:10 GMT
Thanks Steve. That's Awesome! I will kick off a new RC soon.
Shall we reopen HDFS-6200 given issues here? Making it in release note of 2.8.0 could confuse
people as it doesn't work in HA deployment.

Thanks,

Junping
From: Steve Loughran
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:27 AM
To: Junping Du
Cc: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org; hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.8.0 (RC2)

> On 16 Mar 2017, at 00:25, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> bq. From my read of the poms, hadoop-client depends on hadoop-hdfs-client to pull in
HDFS-related code. It doesn't have its own dependency on hadoop-hdfs. So I think this affects
users of the hadoop-client artifact, which has existed for a long time.

> I could miss that. Thanks for reminding! From my quick check: https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.hadoop/hadoop-client/2.7.3?,
it sounds like 669 artifacts from other projects were depending on it.

> I think we should withdraw the current RC bits. Please stop the verification & vote.
>
> I will kick off another RC immediately when HDFS-11431 get fixed.

is done. hadoop-hdfs without any server-side dependencies is now a hadoop-client dependency.

Release notes:

The hadoop-client POM now includes a leaner hdfs-client, stripping out all the transitive
dependencies on JARs only needed for the Hadoop HDFS daemon itself. The specific jars now
excluded are: leveldbjni-all, jetty-util, commons-daemon, xercesImpl, netty and servlet-api.

This should make downstream projects dependent JARs smaller, and avoid version conflict problems
with the specific JARs now excluded.

Applications may encounter build problems if they did depend on these JARs, and which didn't
explicitly include them. There are two fixes for this

* explicitly include the JARs, stating which version of them you want.
* add a dependency on hadoop-hdfs. For Hadoop 2.8+, this will add the missing dependencies.
For builds against older versions of Hadoop, this will be harmless, as hadoop-hdfs and all
its dependencies are already pulled in by the hadoop-client POM.