hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release cadence and EOL
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2017 23:30:16 GMT

> On Jan 18, 2017, at 11:21 AM, Chris Trezzo <ctrezzo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Sangjin for pushing this forward! I have a few questions:

	These are great questions, because I know I'm not seeing a whole lot of substance in this
vote.  The way to EOL software in the open source universe is with new releases and aging
it out.  If someone wants to be a RE for a new branch-1 release, more power to them.  As volunteers
to the ASF, we're not on the hook to provide much actual support.  This feels more like a
vendor play than a community one.  But if the PMC want to vote on it, whatever.  It won't
be first bylaw that doesn't really mean much.

> 1. What is the definition of end-of-life for a release in the hadoop
> project? My current understanding is as follows: When a release line
> reaches end-of-life, there are no more planned releases for that line.
> Committers are no longer responsible for back-porting bug fixes to the line
> (including fixed security vulnerabilities) and it is essentially
> unmaintained.

	Just a point of clarification.  There is no policy that says that committers must back port.
 It's up to the individual committers to push a change onto any particular branch. Therefore,
this vote doesn't really change anything in terms of committer responsibilities here.

> 2. How do major releases affect the end-of-life proposal? For example, how
> does a new minor release in the next major release affect the end-of-life
> of minor releases in a previous major release? Is it possible to have a
> maintained 2.x release if there is a 3.3 release?

	I'm looking forward to seeing this answer too, given that 2.7.0 is probably past the 2 year
mark, 2.8.0 has seemingly been in a holding pattern for over a year, and the next 3.0.0 alpha
should be RSN....