hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: [Release thread] 2.6.5 release activities
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2016 14:13:21 GMT

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 5:59 AM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>      These comments are more like wishes but not giving more clarifications on the needs.
I would like to hear more specific reasons to not move to 2.7.x releases but prefer to upgrade
to 2.6.5. If the only reason is about expectation management, I think we should claim 2.6.5
is the last branch-2.6 release after this release work, otherwise people would expect us to
maintain this branch forever which is impossible and unnecessary. Thoughts?

	The bylaws[*] are such that if community members want to spend their time working on a branch,
there isn't much to prevent that other than the PMC voting down the release of that branch
or removing the committers working on that branch.  As has been pointed out to me many times,
one can't dictate where others spend their volunteer time.  If they want to spend their efforts
on branch-2.6, they can.  If that comes at the detriment of releases around branch-2.7 or
branch-2.8 or even trunk, then so be it. Technically, someone could still fire up a branch-1
release.  Given the numbers of committers and PMC members as listed on the main ASF website
(not the list on project one), we should have more than enough people to do all this work
anyway.

* - of course, there's a few bylaws that aren't really enforced, so maybe even this isn't
true?