hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Jitendra Pandey <jiten...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HDFS-1312 - Diskbalancer branch merge
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 21:30:56 GMT
I think this is a very useful feature.
I have file an improvement request, but that doesn’t block the merge. I think the core functionality
is complete, with good test coverage and documentation.

+1 for the merge.

On Jun 22, 2016, at 12:28 AM, Arpit Agarwal <aagarwal@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> This feature is frequently requested by users and would be a useful addition to HDFS.
>
> I’ve code reviewed many of the sub-tasks and have tried out Disk Balancer in a test
cluster. Suggested a couple of usability improvements. These are tracked by open Jiras but
they need not hold up the merge. The documentation looks great.

> +1 for merging with HDFS-10557 fixed.
>

> On 6/15/16, 5:38 PM, "Anu Engineer" <aengineer@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to propose a merge vote for HDFS-1312 (Disk balancer) branch to trunk. This
branch creates a new tool that allows balancing of data on a datanode.

> The voting commences now and will run for 7 days till Jun/22/2016 5:00 PM PST.
>
> This tool distributes data evenly between the disks of same type on a datanode.
> This is useful if a disk has been replaced or if some disks are out of space compared
to rest of the disks.

> The current set of commands supported are:
>
> 1. Plan - Allows user to create a plan and review it. The plan describes how the data
will be moved in the data node.

here.  [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12755226/disk-balancer-proposal.pdf
]

> ·         The updated architecture and test plan document is here. [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12810720/Architecture_and_test_update.pdf
]

> ·         The merge patch that is a diff against trunk is posted here. [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12810943/HDFS-1312.001.patch
]

> ·         The user documentation which will be part of apache is posted here. [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12805976/HDFS-9547-HDFS-1312.002.patch
]

> HDFS-1312 has a set of sub-tasks and they are ordered in the same sequence as they were
committed to HDFS-1312. Hopefully this will make it easy to code review this branch.

> There are a set of commands which we would like to do later, including discovering which
datanodes in the cluster would benefit by running disk balancer.
> Appropriate JIRAs for these future work items are filed under HDFS-1312.
>
> Disk Balancer is made possible due to the work of many community members including Arpit
Agarwal, Vinayakumar B, Mingliang Liu, Tsz Wo Nicholas Sze,