hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Anu Engineer <aengin...@hortonworks.com>
Subject [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] HDFS-1312 - Diskbalancer branch merge
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2016 00:06:25 GMT
Hi All,

This vote passes with +4 binding votes.
Thank you all for taking time out to review, test and contribute patches to disk balancer.

Thanks
Anu

On 6/22/16, 3:41 PM, "Lei Xu" <lei@cloudera.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the great work, Anu.
>
>I have ran a test on a local cluster.  One suggestion is that the CLI
>help messages should be more consistent with the rest of rest of hdfs
>command line tools.
>
>+1 for the merge.
>
>On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Jitendra Pandey
><jitendra@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> I think this is a very useful feature.
>> I have file an improvement request, but that doesn’t block the merge. I think the
core functionality is complete, with good test coverage and documentation.

>> +1 for the merge.
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2016, at 12:28 AM, Arpit Agarwal <aagarwal@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This feature is frequently requested by users and would be a useful addition
to HDFS.

>>> I’ve code reviewed many of the sub-tasks and have tried out Disk Balancer in
a test cluster. Suggested a couple of usability improvements. These are tracked by open Jiras
but they need not hold up the merge. The documentation looks great.

>>> +1 for merging with HDFS-10557 fixed.
>>>

>>> On 6/15/16, 5:38 PM, "Anu Engineer" <aengineer@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I would like to propose a merge vote for HDFS-1312 (Disk balancer) branch to
trunk. This branch creates a new tool that allows balancing of data on a datanode.

>>> The voting commences now and will run for 7 days till Jun/22/2016 5:00 PM PST.
>>>
>>> This tool distributes data evenly between the disks of same type on a datanode.
>>> This is useful if a disk has been replaced or if some disks are out of space
compared to rest of the disks.

>>> The current set of commands supported are:
>>>
>>> 1. Plan - Allows user to create a plan and review it. The plan describes how
the data will be moved in the data node.

is here.  [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12755226/disk-balancer-proposal.pdf
]

[ https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12805976/HDFS-9547-HDFS-1312.002.patch
]

>>> HDFS-1312 has a set of sub-tasks and they are ordered in the same sequence as
they were committed to HDFS-1312. Hopefully this will make it easy to code review this branch.

>>> There are a set of commands which we would like to do later, including discovering
which datanodes in the cluster would benefit by running disk balancer.
>>> Appropriate JIRAs for these future work items are filed under HDFS-1312.
>>>
>>> Disk Balancer is made possible due to the work of many community members including
Arpit Agarwal, Vinayakumar B, Mingliang Liu, Tsz Wo Nicholas Sze,
>>> Lei (Eddy) Xu and Xiaobing Zhou. I would like to thank them all for the effort
and support.