hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From "Chen, Haifeng" <haifeng.c...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Hadoop encryption module as Apache Chimera incubator project
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2016 02:31:59 GMT
Thanks Allen for your questioning.

>> Why is this discussion taking place on hdfs-dev when other parts of Hadoop use encryption
code?  That alone makes me uncomfortable moving this code outside of the Hadoop umbrella.

Let me explain in this way. Hadoop common implements the crypto stuff and HDFS (encryption
at rest and data transfer) is the major (maybe the only) consumer of this piece of the code
by now. And the fact is the crypto stuff in Hadoop common was contributed as part of HDFS
encryption at rest effort. I think this is the reason that the original discussion happens
in hdfs-dev.

Regards,
Haifeng