hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UPDATE] New ASF git policy on force-pushes / Tags / Stale branches
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2016 21:35:26 GMT
Mailing infra ate all the formatting up. Here’s the same email with some line breaks.

> Hi all,
>
> As some of you have noticed, we have an update from ASF infra on git branching policy:
We no longer have a ASF wide mandate on disallowing force-pushes on all branches / tags.

> Summarizing information from the INFRA email for the sake of clarity in the midst of
recent confusion
> - We now can do force pushes, and branch/tag deletion on any branch or tag except refs/tags/rel
> - Any force pushes will be annotated in the commit-email as “[Forced Update!]” for
the community to watch out for undesired force-pushes
> - Only tags under refs/tags/rel are protected from force-push for the sake of release-provenance:
Essentially, the releases that community votes on are archived in their entirety with the
development history and we cannot alter that once a tag is created. As one might expect.

> What this means for us

> - Stale branches: There are a few stale branches that got accumulated.
>    — During this branch moratorium, origin/bracnh-2.8 got created (May be as part of
HDFS-8785, can’t say for sure)
>    — A couple of stale branches that helped 2.6.1 release: origin/sjlee/hdfs-merge
and origin/ajisakaa/common-merge
>    — I’ll wait till EOD tomorrow for any yays/nays and delete them

> - Feature branch updates: Developers can now go rebase and force-push their feature branches.

> - Mainline branches: Mainline branches like trunk, branch-2 have always been configured
to avoid force-pushes. In general, force-push continues to be recommended mainly for feature
branches and definitely not on any mainline branches from which we make releases.

> - Release tags:
>    — To follow ASF provenance policy, we will now push the final release tags under
refs/tags/rel. We will first push the RC tags under where they reside now (refs/tags) and
if the vote passes, the final tag will be created under refs/tags/rel.
>    — I’ll update our release wiki page http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease
<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease> with the same details once I can get 2.7.2
release done using this updated process.

> - Existing release tags:
>    — There is a general recommendation from INFRA team to take all of our existing
release tags under "tags" and copy them to “rel”.
>    — I’ll wait till EOD tomorrow for any yays/nays and copy existing releases under
refs/tags/rel following general recommendations.