hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Hadoop encryption module as Apache Chimera incubator project
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2016 07:16:30 GMT
Thanks Uma.

I have a question by the way, it's not about Chimera project, but about the mentioned advantage
1 and libhadoop.so installation problem. I copied the saying as below for convenience.

>>1. As Chimera embedded the native in jar (similar to Snappy java), it solves the current
issues in Hadoop that a HDFS client has to depend libhadoop.so if the client needs to read
encryption zone in HDFS. This means a HDFS client may has to depend a Hadoop installation
in local machine. For example, HBase uses depends on HDFS client jar other than a Hadoop installation
and then has no access to libhadoop.so. So HBase cannot use an encryption zone or it cause
error.

I believe Haifeng had mentioned the problem in a call when discussing erasure coding work,
but until now I got to understand what's the  problem and how Chimera or Snappy Java solved
it. It looks like there can be some thin clients that don't rely on Hadoop installation so
no libhadoop.so is available to use on the client host. The approach mentioned here is to
bundle the library file (*.so) into a jar and dynamically extract the file when loading it.
When no library file is contained in the jar then it goes to the normal case, loading it from
an installation. It's smart and nice! My question is, could we consider to adopt the approach
for libhadoop.so library? It might be worth to discuss because, we're bundling more and more
things into the library (recently we just put Intel ISA-L support into it), and such things
may be desired for such clients. It may also be helpful for development, because sometimes
when run unit tests that involve native codes, some error may happen and complain no place
to find libhadoop.so. Thanks.

Regards,
Kai