hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC2
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:13:55 GMT
-1 (binding)
We have been running a release derived from 2.7 on some of our clusters, and we recently hit
a bug where an application making large container requests can drastically slow down container
allocations for other users in the same queue.  See YARN-4610 for details.  Since yarn.scheduler.capacity.reservations-continue-look-all-nodes
is on by default, I think we should fix this.  If we decide to ship 2.7.2 without that fix
then the release notes should call out that JIRA and mention the workaround of setting yarn.scheduler.capacity.reservations-continue-look-all-nodes
to false.
Jason

      From: Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vinodkv@apache.org>
 To: Hadoop Common <common-dev@hadoop.apache.org>; hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
 Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:57 PM
 Subject: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC2

Hi all,

I've created an updated release candidate RC2 for Apache Hadoop 2.7.2.

As discussed before, this is the next maintenance release to follow up 2.7.1.

The RC is available for validation at: http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.2-RC2/

The RC tag in git is: release-2.7.2-RC2

The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org <http://repository.apache.org/>
at https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1027 <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1027>

The release-notes are inside the tar-balls at location hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/src/main/docs/releasenotes.html.
I hosted this at http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.2-RC2/releasenotes.html <http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.2-RC1/releasenotes.html>
for your quick perusal.

As you may have noted,
 - I terminated the RC1 related voting thread after finding out that we didn’t have a bunch
of patches that are already in the released 2.6.3 version. After a brief discussion, we decided
to keep the parallel 2.6.x and 2.7.x releases incremental, see [4] for this discussion.
 - The RC0 related voting thread got halted due to some critical issues. It took a while again
for getting all those blockers out of the way. See the previous voting thread [3] for details.
 - Before RC0, an unusually long 2.6.3 release caused 2.7.2 to slip by quite a bit. This release's
related discussion threads are linked below: [1] and [2].

Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 5 days.

Thanks,
Vinod

[1]: 2.7.2 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/oozq3gvd4nhzsaes <http://markmail.org/message/oozq3gvd4nhzsaes>
[2]: Planning Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 http://markmail.org/message/iktqss2qdeykgpqk <http://markmail.org/message/iktqss2qdeykgpqk>