hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC2
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:25:04 GMT
The JIRA YARN-4610 links YARN-3434 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-3434>
as the one causing the breakage, and YARN-3434 already exists in 2.7.1 itself. That categorizes
the new issue as an existing bug.

If you agree with that sentiment, and given that there is a clear work-around, in the interest
of progress of 2.7.2 (we have spent > 2 months on this now), I’d like to move forward.

Please LMK what you think.

Thanks
+Vinod

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 3:13 PM, Jason Lowe <jlowe@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> -1 (binding)
> We have been running a release derived from 2.7 on some of our clusters, and we recently
hit a bug where an application making large container requests can drastically slow down container
allocations for other users in the same queue.  See YARN-4610 for details.  Since yarn.scheduler.capacity.reservations-continue-look-all-nodes
is on by default, I think we should fix this.  If we decide to ship 2.7.2 without that fix
then the release notes should call out that JIRA and mention the workaround of setting yarn.scheduler.capacity.reservations-continue-look-all-nodes
to false.

mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org

at https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1027 <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1027>

> The release-notes are inside the tar-balls at location hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/src/main/docs/releasenotes.html.
I hosted this at http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.2-RC2/releasenotes.html <http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.2-RC1/releasenotes.html>
for your quick perusal.

> As you may have noted,
> - I terminated the RC1 related voting thread after finding out that we didn’t have
a bunch of patches that are already in the released 2.6.3 version. After a brief discussion,
we decided to keep the parallel 2.6.x and 2.7.x releases incremental, see [4] for this discussion.
> - The RC0 related voting thread got halted due to some critical issues. It took a while
again for getting all those blockers out of the way. See the previous voting thread [3] for
details.
> - Before RC0, an unusually long 2.6.3 release caused 2.7.2 to slip by quite a bit. This
release's related discussion threads are linked below: [1] and [2].