hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Release votes and git-tags [Was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC0]
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:52:45 GMT

> On 12 Nov 2015, at 20:23, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vinodkv@apache.org> wrote:
>
> We have always voted on release tar-balls, not svn branches / git commit-ids or tags.
>
> When we were on SVN, we used to paste in the voting thread the release branch URL.
>
> Since we moved to git, we stopped creating release branches and have always used signed
tags for snapshotting and posted tags in the voting threads.

> To my knowledge, we never reuse tags - as they are themselves versioned - for e.g. hadoop-2.7.1-RC0
etc. So we don’t run the risk of tags getting replaced from under the rug.

> To me, tags are a simple way of going back to the code we ship in a release without creating
and maintaining explicit release branches. No one can remember Commit IDs.

> All that said, we can post the commit-IDs in future release votes for the sake of convenience,
but I disagree with the statement that we vote on git-commits.

> +Vinod

I recognise that we vote on the src distro, but that source has an origin. And that has to
be a commit #, not a tag, as somebody *may* change that tag later.

the ASF incubator will only approve of git-based releases with that checksum —so its the
one we should all be using

FWIW, the RC tag is: 6f38ccc ; I've checked it out and verifying it builds on Windows, including
all the native libs