hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] About the details of JDK-8 support
Date Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:55:38 GMT

> On 17 Oct 2015, at 15:42, Allen Wittenauer <aw@altiscale.com> wrote:
>

> FYI:
>
> 	I’ve switched HADOOP to Apache Yetus (from the YETUS-83 branch) in multijdk mode with
jdk7 and jdk8 turned on. (So java patches will take *twice as long* since they aren’t done
in parallel!).  I’ll be ramping up the other big features (docker and multiple maven repos)
and watching the results of various jobs throughout the day.  Note that the Jenkins precommit
bits are now a bit hacky for the time being so that if necessary I can easily back it out
in case of a big bug.

thx for doing this, I'll keep an eye on the builds

one question: which jdk8? Some of the Hadoop builds (example YARN) are crashing the JVM..there's
a whole list of jdk8 options, including, for ubuntu hosts only, openjdk. Should we switch
the jvm for our nightly builds to open jdk 8?

> 	At some point, we’ll switch the other projects over, dealing with any feedback from
the hadoop-common trial. Hopefully by then, we’ll have our first Apache Yetus release as
well as clean up the jobs to be less hacky.