hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] About the details of JDK-8 support
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2015 17:43:01 GMT

> On 7 Oct 2015, at 22:39, Elliott Clark <eclark@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <ozawa@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Do you have any concern about this? I’ve not
>> tested with HBase yet.
>>

> We've been running JDK 8u60 in production with Hadoop 2.6.X and HBase for
> quite a while. Everything has been very stable for us. We're running and
> compiling with jdk8.
>
> We had to turn off yarn.nodemanager.vmem-check-enabled. Otherwise mr jobs
> didn't do too well.

maybe related to the initial memory requirements being higher?

otherwise: did you file a JIRA?

> I'd be +1 on dropping jdk7 support. However as downstream developer it
> would be very weird for that to happen on anything but a major release.

Past discussion (including a big contrib from twitter) was that breaking Java 7 support breaks
all client apps too, which is not something people were ready for.

I'd  be +1 for moving trunk to the java-8 compatible dependencies, and to have the jenkins
nighly builds only before java 8; we'd still have the patch and branch-2 runs on Java 7. That
way, people will only have one nightly mail from Jenkins saying the build is broken, and maybe
pay more attention to the fact.