hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject DISCUSS: is the order in FS.listStatus() required to be sorted?
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2015 10:21:12 GMT

HADOOP-12009 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12009) patches the FS javadoc and
contract tests to say "the order you get things back from a listStatus() isn't guaranteed
to be alphanumerically sorted"

That's one of those assumptions which we all have, but which, when you think about it, doesn't
have to be guaranteed.

I'm going to commit the patch with the updated docs. Before I do that, does anyone have any
objection -that is, is there some fundamental constraint which requires it to come back sorted?
Such as the FS APIs and other apps which do expect that sorting, and which are going to break
if the rules change? If so, they may need to be looked at.

-Steve