hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: A 2.7.1 release to follow up 2.7.0
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 22:01:54 GMT
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

branch-2.7 is now open for commits to a 2.7.1 release. JIRA also now has a 2.7.1 version for
all the sub-projects.

I moved all the pending non-blocker tickets from 2.7.0 into 2.8.0. Please move anything back
into 2.7.1 as you see fit. As I mentioned before, let's restrict ourselves to important bug-fixes
and blockers.

We can target a maintenance release in 2-4 weeks depending on the inflow of the bug reports.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On Apr 9, 2015, at 2:12 PM, Zhijie Shen <zshen@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> I meant we *haven't* done the compatibility check.
> ________________________________________
> From: Zhijie Shen <zshen@hortonworks.com>
> Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 2:00 PM
> To: yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
> Cc: hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org; Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
> Subject: Re: A 2.7.1 release to follow up 2.7.0
> 
> +1 for roll out 2.7.0 soon and continuing stabilization in 2.7.1.
> 
> Agree with Karthik, it's better to exclude all improvements unless it turns out to blocking
something.
> 
> In terms of jdiff, we have done the compatibility check for quite a while in branch-2.
Do we want to back port it to (some of) early releases?
> 
> Thanks
> Zhijie
> ________________________________________
> From: Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com>
> Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 12:56 PM
> To: yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org
> Cc: hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; common-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
> Subject: Re: A 2.7.1 release to follow up 2.7.0
> 
> There's a couple of S3a fixes coming along which could go into a 2.7.1; they've been
held back to avoid rushing them in to 2.7.0 last-minute.
> 
>> On 9 Apr 2015, at 20:33, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> 
>> +1 (non-binding).
>> The plan sounds reasonable. We should make our release train more fast-moving, and
predictable - it could benefit our community and ecosystem in many aspects.
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> 
>> Junping
>> ________________________________________
>> From: Arpit Agarwal <aagarwal@hortonworks.com>
>> Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 8:23 PM
>> To: hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; common-dev@hadoop.apache.org; yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
>> Cc: Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
>> Subject: Re: A 2.7.1 release to follow up 2.7.0
>> 
>> +1 for 2.7.1 and +1 for promoting it to 'stable', assuming it includes no new features
or gratuitous improvements.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Arpit
>> 
>> 
>> On 4/9/15, 11:48 AM, "Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli" <vinodkv@apache.org> wrote:
>> 
>>> Hi all,
>>> 
>>> I feel like we haven't done a great job of maintaining the previous 2.x
>>> releases. Seeing as how long 2.7.0 release has taken, I am sure we will
>>> spend more time stabilizing it, fixing issues etc.
>>> 
>>> I propose that we immediately follow up 2.7.0 with a 2.7.1 within 2-3
>>> weeks. The focus obviously is to have blocker issues, bug-fixes and *no*
>>> features. Improvements are going to be slightly hard to reason about, but I
>>> propose limiting ourselves to very small improvements, if at all.
>>> 
>>> The other area of concern with the previous releases had been
>>> compatibility. With help from Li Lu, I got jdiff reinstated in branch-2
>>> (though patches are not yet in), and did a pass. In the unavoidable event
>>> that we find incompatibilities with 2.7.0, we can fix those in 2.7.1 and
>>> promote that to be the stable release.
>>> 
>>> Thoughts?
>>> 
>>> Thanks,+Vinod


Mime
View raw message