hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: IMPORTANT: testing patches for branches
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 12:22:47 GMT
Thanks Allen for the great work. I tried in HADOOP-11847 (branch HDFS-7285) and it went well,
very helpfully!

Regards,
Kai

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Wittenauer [mailto:aw@altiscale.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:22 PM
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org; yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: testing patches for branches

On Apr 22, 2015, at 11:34 PM, Zheng, Kai <kai.zheng@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Allen,
>
> This sounds great.
>
>>> Naming a patch foo-HDFS-7285.00.patch should get tested on the HDFS-7285 branch.
> Does it happen locally in developer's machine when running test-patch.sh, or also mean
something in Hadoop Jenkins building when a JIRA becoming patch available? Thanks.

	Both, now that a fix has been committed last night (there was a bug in the Jenkins handling).

	Given a patch name or URL, Jenkins and even running locally will try a few different methods
to figure out which branch to use  out.  Note that a branch name of 'gitX' where X is a valid
git reference also works to force a patch to start at a particular commit.

	For local use, you'll want to use a 'spare' copy of the source tree via the -basedir option
and use the -resetrepo flag.  That will enable Jenkins-like behavior and gives it permission
to make modifications and effectively nuke any changes in the source tree you point it at.
 (Basically the opposite of the -dirty-workspace flag).  If you want to force a branch (for
whatever reason, including where the branch can't be figured out), you can use the -branch
option.

	If you don't use -resetrepo, test-patch.sh will warn that it thinks the wrong branch is being
used but will push on anyway.

	In any case, the result of what it thinks the branch is/should be will be in the summary
output at the bottom along with the git ref that it specifically used for the test.