hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com>
Subject Microsoft patents on local reconstruction codes, HDFS-7345, LEGAL-211
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 02:48:30 GMT
Hi all,

We're working on adding erasure coding to HDFS. One very nice optimization
is local reconstruction codes (LRC), which originates from Microsoft
Research. We'd like to implement LRC in HDFS too, but Kai reached out to
Microsoft and apparently this idea is patented. This is being tracked in
HDFS-7345 and LEGAL-211.

Does anyone have contacts at Microsoft who might be able to help with this?
The researcher who Kai talked to indicated this might be possible. I know
we have some Hadoop committers who work at Microsoft, so it'd be great if
those of you could make inquiries.

Thanks,
Andrew