hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.6
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:34:31 GMT
Folks,

 With hadoop-2.5 nearly done, it's time to start thinking ahead to hadoop-2.6.

 Currently, here is the Roadmap per the wiki:

	• HADOOP
		• Credential provider HADOOP-10607
	• HDFS
		• Heterogeneous storage (Phase 2) - Support APIs for using storage tiers by the applications
HDFS-5682
		• Memory as storage tier HDFS-5851
	• YARN
		• Dynamic Resource Configuration YARN-291
		• NodeManager Restart YARN-1336
		• ResourceManager HA Phase 2 YARN-556
		• Support for admin-specified labels in YARN YARN-796
		• Support for automatic, shared cache for YARN application artifacts YARN-1492
		• Support NodeGroup layer topology on YARN YARN-18
		• Support for Docker containers in YARN YARN-1964
		• YARN service registry YARN-913

 My suspicion is, as is normal, some will make the cut and some won't. Please do add/subtract
from the list as appropriate. Ideally, it would be good to ship hadoop-2.6 in a 6-8 weeks
(say, October) to keep up a cadence.

 More importantly, as we discussed previously, we'd like hadoop-2.6 to be the *last* Apache
Hadoop 2.x release which support JDK6. I'll start a discussion with other communities (HBase,
Pig, Hive, Oozie etc.) and see how they feel about this.

thanks,
Arun

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE