hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From sanjay Radia <san...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge fs-encryption branch to trunk
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2014 08:05:47 GMT
While I was originally skeptical of transparent encryption, I like the value proposition of
transparent encryption. HDFS has several layers, protocols  and tools. While the HDFS core
part seems to be well done in the Jira, inserting the matching transparency in the other tools
or protocols need to be worked through.

I have the following areas of concern:
- Common protocols like webhdfs should continue to work (the design doc marks this as a goal),
This issue is being discussed in the Jira but it appears that webhdfs does not currently work
with encrypted files: Andrew say that "Regarding webhdfs, it's not a recommended deployment"
and that he will modify the documentation to match that. Aljeandro say "Both httpfs and webhdfs
will work just fine" but then in the same paragraph says "this could fail some security audits".
We need to resolve this quickly. Webhdfs is heavily used by many Hadoop users.

- Common tools should like cp, distcp and HAR should continue  to work with non-encrypted
and encrypted files in an automatic fashion. This issue has been heavily discussed in the
Jira and at the meeting. The /.reserved./.raw mechanism appears to be a step in the right
direction for distcp and cp, however this work has not reached its conclusion in my opinion;
Charles are I are going through the use cases and I think we are close to a clean solution
for distcp and cp.  HAR still needs a concrete proposal.

- KMS scalability in medium to large clusters. This can perhaps  be addressed by getting the
keys ahead of time when a job is submitted.  Without this the  KMS will need to be as highly
available and scalable as the NN.  I think this is future implementation work but we need
to at least determine if this is indeed possible in case we need to modify some of the APIs
right now to support that.

There are some other minor things under discussion, and I still need to go through the new
APIs.

 Unfortunately at this stage I cannot give a +1 for this merge; I hope to change this in the
next day or -  I am working with the Jira's team.  Alejandoro, Charles, Andrew, Atm, ...
to resolve the above as quickly as possible.

Sanjay (binding)

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE