hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Moving to JDK7, JDK8 and new major releases
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2014 04:30:22 GMT
On Jun 24, 2014, at 4:22 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Since Hadoop apps can and do depend on the Hadoop classpath, the classpath
> is effectively part of our API. I'm sure there are user apps out there that
> will break if we make incompatible changes to the classpath. I haven't read
> up on the MR JIRA Arun mentioned, but there MR isn't the only YARN app out
> there.

I think there is a some confusion/misunderstanding here.

With hadoop-2 the user is completely in control of his own classpath (we had a similar, but
limited capability in hadoop-1 w/ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-1938).

Furthermore, it's probably not well known that in hadoop-2 the user application (MR or otherwise)
can also pick the JDK version by using JAVA_HOME env for the container. So, in effect, MR
applications can continue to use java6 while YARN is running java7 - this hasn't been tested
extensively though. This capability did not exist in hadoop-1. We've also made some progress
with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-1700 to defuse user jar-deps from MR
system jars. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4421 also helps by ensuring MR
applications can pick exact version of MR jars they were compiled against; and not rely on
cluster installs.

Hope that helps somewhat.

thanks,
Arun