hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Alejandro Abdelnur <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Putting the hdfs client as a separate jar
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 17:16:29 GMT
Haouhi's suggestion of a hdfs-client JAR with client dependencies only,
would be IMO the 'correct' way of doing things, we should have a
hdfs-server and hdfs-client JARs.

Doing this is practice is not trivial as classes are not properly
segregated. So, Steven's suggestion of  an hdfs-client seems the best bet
short term.

thx

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 5:06 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> to follow up with an example,
>
> JIRA on updating dependencies and tuning the POMs
>

>  here's a JIRA on dropping ZK from the hadoop-client POM

> And there's an mr-client POM where we've been slowly cutting down on what
> it pulls in
>
> This shows that
> 1. we can given maven/ivy projects what they need -and no more- through
> POM-only projects.
> 2. its an ongoing project to keep those dependencies cut down.
> 3. there's always the risk that you drop too much and some project
> discovers that while their code builds, it doesn't run any more.
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Alejandro