hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Akira AJISAKA <ajisa...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>
Subject Re: Thinking ahead
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2014 08:55:12 GMT
+1 (non-binding) for 2.4.1 release.

 > We can debate whether or June is too early for hadoop-2.5 and it's
 > contents, but I recollect there was consensus that releases every 6
 > weeks (or so) makes sense.

Also, +1 (non-binding) for the 6 weeks (or so) timeline releases.
However, I'm thinking it's more important to remove the critical bugs
(e.g. test failures) from rc than to release on time.

Thanks,
Akira

(2014/04/14 3:30), Arun C. Murthy wrote:

>> On Apr 12, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Sandy Ryza <sandy.ryza@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1 for starting to think about 2.5.  Early June seems a little early to me
>> - we had talked about a quarterly release cadence and this would be about
>> half that.
>
> We can debate whether or June is too early for hadoop-2.5 and it's contents, but I recollect
there was consensus that releases every 6 weeks (or so) makes sense. Else, with lesser frequency,
we'll see a mad rush for everything to get into *the* quarterly release. As an example: hadoop-2.3
helped reduce pressure on contents in hadoop-2.4.

> In my experience, even if we do target 6 weeks it will be closer to ~8 weeks before we
can *corral* a release. OTOH, a 12 week cycle would result in a release every 4-5 months...
this is why the ASF encourages projects/PMCs to make frequent releases.