hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Yu Li <car...@gmail.com>
Subject Is there a way to get a Block through block id?
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:46:26 GMT
Dear all,

As titled, I actually have two questions here:

1. In current releases like hadoop-2.2.0, is block id unique and able to
locate a Block in HDFS? I'm asking because I could see HDFS-4645 is trying
to resolve the uniqueness issue. However, from the code comment it seems
block id is expected to be unique

2. It seems there's no method to get a Block object through a block id.
However, there's some scenarios need such method, like if I use the
FavouredNode feature to create logical datanode group and planned to put
some data within a group, then I might need to periodically check whether
there's block somehow placed outside the group, and move it back. In such
scenario, I would need to first get block ids, then move. But to move them,
it seems we need a Block instance to initiate the ExtendedBlock object.

Any suggestion, or reference to existing JIRA would be highly appreciated,
and thanks in advance!

--
Best Regards,
Li Yu