hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hdfs project separation
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 18:12:24 GMT
On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Milind Bhandarkar
<mbhandarkar@gopivotal.com> wrote:
> If HDFS is released independently, with its own RPC and protocol versions, features such
as pluggable namespaces will not have to wait for the next mega-release of the entire stack.

The plan as I understand it is to eventually be able to release
common/hdfs & yarn/mr independently, as two, three or perhaps four
different products.  Once we've got that down we can consider
splitting into multiple TLPs.  For this to transpire requires folks to
volunteer to create an independent release, establishing a plan,
helping to make the required changes, calling the vote, etc.  Someone
could propose doing this first with HDFS, YARN or whatever someone
thinks is best.  It would take concerted effort by a few folks, along
with consent of the rest of the project.

Do you have a detailed plan?  If so, you could share it and start
trying to build consensus around it.

Doug