hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Dost <jd...@ucsd.edu>
Subject Re: Feature request to provide DFSInputStream subclassing mechanism
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 22:29:48 GMT
Thank you for the suggestion, but we don't see how simply wrapping a
FileSystem object would be sufficient in our use case.  The reason why
is we need to catch and handle read exceptions at the block level.
There aren't any public methods available in the high level FileSystem
abstraction layer that would give us the fine grained control we need at
block level read failures.

Perhaps if I outline the steps more clearly it will help explain what we
are trying to do.  Without our enhancements, suppose a user opens a file
stream and starts reading the file from Hadoop. After some time, at some
position into the file, if there happen to be no replicas available for
a particular block for whatever reason, datanodes have gone down due to
disk issues, etc. the stream will throw an IOException
(BlockMissingException or similar) and the read will fail.

What we are doing is rather than letting the stream fail, we have
another stream queued up that knows how to fetch the blocks elsewhere
outside of our Hadoop cluster that couldn't be retrieved.  So we need to
be able to catch the exception at this point, and these externally
fetched bytes then get read into the user supplied read buffer.  Now
Hadoop can proceed to read in the stream the next blocks in the file.

So as you can see this method of fail over on demand allows an input
stream to keep reading data, without having to start it all over again
if a failure occurs (assuming the remote bytes were successfully fetched).

As a final note I would like to mention that we will be providing our
failover module to the Open Science Grid.  Since we hope to provide this
as a benefit to all OSG users running at participating T2 computing
clusters, we will be committed to maintaining this software and any
changes to Hadoop needed to make it work.  In other words we will be
willing to maintain any implementation changes that may become necessary
as Hadoop internals change in future releases.

Thanks,
Jeff