hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Heads up - 2.0.5-beta
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2013 01:34:17 GMT
Gang,

 With hadoop-2.0.4-alpha released, I'd like 2.0.4 to be the final of our hadoop-2.x alphas.
We have made lots of progress on hadoop-2.x and I believe we are nearly there, exciting times!

 As we have discussed previously, I hope to do a final push to stabilize hadoop-2.x, release
a hadoop-2.0.5-beta in the next month or so; and then declare hadoop-2.1 as stable this summer
after a short period of intensive testing.

 With that in mind, I really want to make a serious push to lock down APIs and wire-protocols
for hadoop-2.0.5-beta. Thus, we can confidently support hadoop-2.x in a compatible manner
in the future. So, it's fine to add new features, but please ensure that all APIs are frozen
for hadoop-2.0.5-beta

 Vinod is helping out on the YARN/MR side and has tagged a number of final changes (including
some the final API incompatibilities) we'd like to push in before we call hadoop-2.x as ready
to be supported (Target Version set to 2.0.5-beta):
 http://s.apache.org/target-hadoop-2.0.5-beta
 Thanks Vinod! (Note some of the sub-tasks of umbrella jiras may not be tagged, but their
necessity is implied).

 Similarly on HDFS side, can someone please help out by tagging features, bug-fixes, protocol/API
changes etc.? This way we can ensure HDFS APIs & protocols are locked down too - I'd really
appreciate it!

thanks,
Arun

--