hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: WebHDFS Create File redirect
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:24:36 GMT
I'm not sure, but I believe it uses the name the DN used to register with the NN.  But…
The NN will reject registrations from unresolvable hostnames so I believe DNS is mandatory.

Daryn

On Mar 11, 2013, at 12:58 PM, Steven Matthews wrote:

> I'm writing some test code to try out the WebHDFS REST API for potentially adding functionality
to a program. If I want to create and write to a file using the API, I would send the initial
create request and I would get back a location of a datanode as the documentation says I should.
The location I'm getting back however is a name and not an IP. Now if had this name registered
in my DNS server or put in an entry in my hosts file then I can successfully make the 2nd
create call using that name and I would have just created a file.  Is there any reason why
it doesn't respond with an IP address? Is this something that it could be configured to do?
In a fully-distributed Hadoop setup this would seem like a big pain to register and maintain
all the datanode names and their IPs for machines across the internet just so I can resolve
a name.