hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From sanjay Radia <san...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Merge branch-trunk-win to trunk
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 02:03:09 GMT

On Mar 1, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:

> Commitment is a good thing.
> I think the two builds that I proposed are a prerequisite for Win support.
> If we commit windows patch people will start breaking it the next day.
> Which we wont know without the nightly build and wont be able to fix
> without the on-demand one.

They clearly are a prerequisite for declaring "official" support for windows.
But they should not be a prerequisite for the merge,.
Currently we enable windows through cygwin. There is no jenkins. Folks have been  fixing
windows issues as they are discovered.
Merging the branch makes the situation no worse than it is today - all tests pass on Linux,
there is no regression.
Merging now removes  the cygwin dependency.

Jenkins is critical to make windows officially supported platform without cygwin.
When Jenkins is enabled, the team that has worked on this branch will have to fix any bugs
that have arisen in the mean time.

sanjay