hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Forman <lsforman....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to monitor HDFS upgrade status after removal of "dfsadmin -upgradeProgress status" command?
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 19:30:33 GMT
Hi Harsh,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, my goal is to monitor the metadata upgrade.

I am looking at the apache/trunk branch of hadoop
(https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common.git), and I see that the
messages you refer to below appear to come from
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.UpgradeStatusReport.  But I
cannot find UpgradeStatusReport being used anywhere, and it appears
that it was removed as part of HDFS-3832
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-3832).

If so, might it be a good idea to re-introduce its usage?"

Thanks,
Scott

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 3:49 AM, Harsh J <harsh@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Is your goal to monitor the metadata upgrade? It can be checked on the web UI.
>
> Before finalization, you can see a message on the top banner on the NN
> frontpage such as:
>
> "Upgrade for version -40 is in progress. Status = 94% has been
> completed. Upgrade is not finalized."
>
> After the upgrade procedure completes, its "Upgrade for version -40
> has been completed. Upgrade is not finalized."
>
> At which point you can check for operational stability and issue a
> finalize to make the upgrade permanent.
>
> Does this help? Is there anything else you'd like to see?
>
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Scott Forman <lsforman.931@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am resending this mail, as it appears it never made it to the hdfs-dev mailing
list.

>> I see that the dfsadmin command, -upgradeProgress, has been removed as part of HDFS-2686
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2686).  So I am wondering if there is another
command that can be used to determine the upgrade status.

>> I believe a script could be written to determine the upgrade status by looking to
see if the namenode is running with  either the upgrade or finalize flag, and to check if
there is a previous directory under dfs.name.dir.  But I am wondering if there is an existing
method.