hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release numbering for branch-2 releases
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:52:36 GMT
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Tom White <tom@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Possibly the reason for Stack's consternation is that this is a
> Hadoop-specific versioning scheme, rather than a standard one like
> Semantic Versioning (http://semver.org/) which is more widely
> understood.

If I can offer an alternate and likely more accurate divination, I think
it's the idea of having API incompatibility (also protocol incompatibility)
with each 2.x release.

The preference I believe is for API incompatibilities /
protocol incompatibilities to trigger a major release increment rather than
be rolled into the 2.x branch. Alternatively, I think I can anticipate the
concerns, but have you considered introducing feature flags into the RPC
protocols? Protobuf is a tagged format, by design readers can deal with
missing or unexpected optional fields as long as sender and receiver can
negotiate a lingua franca (via feature flags, is one way).

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)