hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Tsz Wo Sze <szets...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:50:39 GMT
I agree that HDFS-2246 is a short term solution and we should not keep it there forever.
However, we still need a transition period to replace an old mechanism by a new one.  No?

Tsz-Wo

________________________________
 From: Eli Collins <eli@cloudera.com>
To: "hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org" <hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org>; Tsz Wo Sze <szetszwo@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Tsz Wo Sze <szetszwo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I still do not see a valid reason to remove HDFS-2246 immediately.  Some users may have
insecure clusters and they don't want to change their configuration.

Because it doesn't make sense to support multiple mechanisms for the
same thing.

2246 was always intended to be a *short term solution* util 347 was
completed, eg see Sanjay's first comment on 2246:   "A shortcut has
been proposed where the client access the hdfs file blocks directly...
This is non-invasive and is a good short term solution till HDFS-347
is completed."

Thanks,
Eli