hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: What's the difference between release 1.1.1, 1.2.0 and 3.0.0?
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:08:23 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM, sam liu <samliuhadoop@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Harsh´╝î
>
> Thanks very much for your detailed explanation!
>
> For 1.x line, we really want to know which release could be used by us, so
> have further questions:
> - Is 1.2.0 more advanced that 1.1.1?
> - Do we have general release time of above two releases?

The release numbering is so, AFAICT given the releases we've made:

N.x.y

x = minor releases with considerable amount of improvements
y = mainly critical fix releases

We have not yet branched the 1.2.0 release, and a vote is in progress
for the 1.1.1 release. I expect, if you want to pick one up very soon,
you may choose 1.1.1 which should be made officially available in a
week or two.

Note that we do care not to break compatibility within an N line.
Meaning, upgrading from a 1.x1 to 1.x2 release is a trivial effort
equal to a restart of cluster (no metadata upgrades).

> For 2.x line:
> - Will its stable release contain all fixes and features of 1.x line?

Speaking for HDFS, this is true.

> - Can we know the general release time of the coming stable release of 2.x
> line?

The next release, 2.0.3, is yet to be finalized, but I expect a vote
to be called sometime soon. I am unsure if it will still be tagged
unstable or not. From my experience so far of users/customers running
2.x based HDFS (with or without HA), I've hardly seen any major issues
that may shed bad light on its stability.

> Sam Liu
<snip>

--
Harsh J