hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Radim Kolar <...@filez.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to read a corrupted Sequence File?
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2012 16:32:15 GMT

> Could you please provide a little more detail?
Its low level task, repairing seq files with header missing is not so
easy. But till date we were able to repair pretty much everything people
needed including corrupted hbase metadata. But its few days of work,
which is far beyond you can get for free in community mailing list.
> Should I run "hadoop fsck -move " first to move broken files into /lost+found and then
repair
> them?
no, it does more harm then good. Best advice is never try to do any data
recovery yourself and seek an expert.

But if cost of expert work is more then cost of data, then yes why not
to try it? I never used that myself, but you probably do not have much
other choices.