hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Uma Maheswara Rao G <mahesw...@huawei.com>
Subject [Updated] RE: current direction in namenode HA
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 04:56:32 GMT
My previous reply messed up the options numbering, It may confuse some people. I am resending
it again by correcting that. Appologies for confusions.

>>>1) rely on external HA filer
    If you can invest on NFS filers, it is one option in HA.  If you want to try this, you
can use released Hadoop-2 version and try. but below #3 and #4 will avoid this external hardware
dependency.

>>>2) multiple edit directories
    HDFS already supports, multiple edit directory configuration. I am not exactly sure what
option you are referring here.

>>>3) book keeper
   Please take a look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-3399
  We are testing with BookeKeeper from last 2/3 months and going well. BK is progressing on
autorecovery and security  parts. Almost auto recoverry done (BOOKKEEPER-237) and will be
released in BK 4.2 version very soon. BK already started work on security part as well. Also
this integration part will come out with next hadoop-2 release as well. Also attached tested
scenarios in HDFS-3399 for your reference if you want to take a look. Also there is one subTask
in that umbrella  JIRA for user manual  information. BookKeeper Wiki https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BOOKKEEPER/BookKeeper

>>>4) keep edits in HDFS / quorum based
    you can take a look at HDFS-3077. In this umbrella JIRA, work is going actively.
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-3077 you can get more design details in that
JIRA.

Regards,
Uma